Followers

Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Prejudice

Heyya, 
Hope you are having a good day. 


     Today we learn about PREJUDICES. 

What is Prejudice? Discrimination? Bias? Stereotyping? *Note that these are all negative words okay*

     Although all these words have different meanings, but they are rather similar. All in all, it means the perception/opinion one has that is not based on actual experience or reason. Usually it is something negative, like your thoughts you have onto other even when you actually do not personally know him/her. 


To get the rough ideas, here is a table on Stereotype, Prejudice and Discrimination

For this post, Dr. asked us to write about four things: 

1) Identify a prejudice of your own.
2) What is the prejudice in your head?
3) Have you been the victim of bias, prejudices and etc?
4) Greatest fear related to the stereotype.

*Note: Aisha's writing*

     Alright, to answer the first and second question, I may or may not had a prejudice towards these certain group of people. But again, it was in the past and over the years it is lessening. As I grow up, I learn people are different and we all have different ways of thinking or doing some things. So I try not to judge or being prejudiced but of course, things are easier said than done huh However, I will not write further about these prejudices of mine in here as it might unintentionally hurt other people upon reading it.

     I don't think I actually experienced bias or prejudices on me (nothing that i can remember of) but I did have stereotype implied on me. Heh. Well, it was not something major or totally harmful for me so in that sense, I'm fine. Like we had in the introduction post, I stated that I came from Kelantan. One of my roommates back in the Foundation years once told me she doesn't like Kelantanese as they always seem a bit arrogant and they like to stick with themselves, speaking their own dialect even though other people might not understand them.



So she always had this kind of stereotype, until she met me *flip hair* *cause I am cool like that* ngehehe. I always shrug it off though as it was NOT the first time I heard these kind of stereotype on Kelantanese. I learn to acknowledge it and take it as my duty to break off the stereotype. 

     To say about fear I guess I have to say that I am slightly worried if people were to know or define me through the stereotypes they have thus restraining them to actually got to know me.Well simply because, I want to be defined as what I am rather what I was perceived as. 


*Note: Nur's writing*

                                     Do I have prejudice?

     Well, I do have some kind of prejudice over my family. Now don’t get me wrong. Listen(?) Read (?) to my story first. 

     When I was in high school, my friend asked me to take care of his pet hamsters on holiday break. As an animal lover, of course I was happy and ready to help him. However, I am sure that my family would be very skeptical of me. My family really hated rat-species animals(?). They would described rats as disgusting, possibly slimy, just terrible creatures. But I kept it in mind, if I kept them out of their sight in a spare room, everything would be okay. ;p

     Two weeks later, I noticed that one of the hamsters was looking a bit chubbier than before. Turns out that my dad and brothers had been fully won over and they would sneaked in to the spare room to feed the hamsters handfuls of “kuaci”. They loved watching them and petting them a bit especially my father (HAHA). The hamsters started to really like him. He even had his favorite. He still claims that he hates rats, but the rest of the family knows better.

     Thus, my prejudice over my family was totally wrong as my opinion was not based on reason and experience.






******************

JUST REMEMBER to take it easy. Sometimes, stereotypes are not THAT BAD. It can also be well..compliments (in a way). Like in this video below. Be proud but humble. Just laugh and shrug it off. You'll live. 



Love,

A & N. 


  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment